Thursday, February 07, 2008

Biography #2

Well, I finished the biography of Elizabeth Prentiss. I am glad to have been able to read her novel (Stepping Heavenward) and then her biography, which together gave me a good picture of this woman and her story.

I decided to make tangible New Year's Resolutions this year. Goals challenging enough to stretch me, but also realistic enough to keep! One of mine was to read 4 biographies this year.

The second one I am picking up is an autobiography of a lady you have probably heard of before, Joni Eareckson Tada. I've heard her story my whole life, but I have never read her books or seen the Billy Graham movie on her life. I was curious.

Being home sick 2 days this week has provided time to rest and recover, as well as grade papers... and read. I knocked out 5 chapters of my new book yesterday. It is written so well. You find yourself wondering how on earth you would react if you went from "normal" to a a quadriplegic in a wheelchair, unable to use your hands. I went to sleep thinking about this. She opens the book with a helpful reminder,

Oscar Wilde wrote: "In this world there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." To rephrase his thought, I suggest there are likewise only two joys. One is having God answer all your prayers; the other is not receiving the answer to all your prayers. I believe this because I have found God knows my needs infinitely better than I know them. And He is utterly dependable, no matter which direction our circumstances take us.
- Joni

I'll have to tell you about the rest of the book soon. It's rather addicting. I think I'll be done soon...

No comments: