Friday, November 17, 2006

Theology Breakfast for 5th Graders

Happy Friday (and Date Night Day, for some of us)
I don't have time to post today. What's new? However, I'm going to copy and paste my 5th grader's questions from our Theology Questions Box. Why do we have one of those, you ask? Great question! On December 4th, I've decided to ask Blake White, Eron Plevan, Kevin Peek, and my dear Dustin Butts to join my 5th grade class for a Christmas/Theology Breakfast. As I told the kids' parents, I have multiple purposes for this event. I don't have the time right now to explain how that morning will look and how we will approach the plethora of questions, but for now I'll leave you with 4 of my main goals and with questions to make you think, laugh, and ponder alongside us.

I have four main goals for this event:
1. I would love for these kids to see examples of godly men who love God’s Word and love to talk about it and study it because they LOVE GOD.
2. I would love to get some help in answering some of the tough questions.
3. It will be great for these men, training for ministry, to have an opportunity to take deep theological issues and explain them very clearly for children.
4. Most of all, I want God to be glorified and cherished. After all, God is more precious than anything else in life!

So, just for kicks, I'm going to let you know the questions that I have received so far... straight out of the theology box, copy and pasted from an e-mail to my theology panel:


Are Pharisees and Saducees still alive?
Did God destroy Pompeii like he did Sodom and Gomorrah?
If God can’t look upon sin, then how did Jesus live with sinners?
Why do we get baptized in water? Who started that?
Are we supposed to be nervous when we share the Gospel?
Was Judas Iscariot hung by his neck? It seems like two passages contradict…
Will we see our pets and animals in heaven?
If Jesus is God, why is Jesus praying to God if He is God. Is He praying to Himself?
Why don’t people live as long as they used to?
If time is different to God, how do we know the exact age of the earth… do we?
In Genesis, it mentions the behemoth. Some people say it is a dinosaur. Some people say it is an elephant. What is it???
How do we know that the Bible is true and the stories really happened?
The Bible says that Jesus will be sitting on the right hand side of God. But isn’t Jesus God, so how can he be sitting on the right hand side?
Is there a record of a Pharisee or Saducee becoming a Christian?
How did Seth (Abel died) have kids if there were no women?
*again* How did man reproduce after Adam and Even if they only had a boy?
Why can’t Jesus know when the End will come? Is he just going to say, “I’m ready”?
Was Elijah John the Baptist?
Why do people say Jesus was perfect when He questioned God on the cross?
What does the kiss (Judas to Jesus) really mean?
What happened to the Ark of the Covenant? When?
In Mark 7:27-30, it talks about bread, crumbs, and dogs. What does this mean?
If you divorced your wife or husband and marry someone else, why is it committing adultery?
Will we know the people we see in heaven?
From heaven, can you see people in hell?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!! Those are some really great questions!! I wish I could hear the guys answer them. There are some of the same questions on my list. I am so thankful for teachers like you!! Thanks for all you do to shape those kiddos!!

Anonymous said...

great stuff, Jamie. I look forward to the feedback on it all! -- Trav

Unknown said...

Umm...Something came up on that day.

Anonymous said...

Can you post the answers after your class has the discussion? I would like to know the answers as well.

Sarah Bebee said...

Man -- I wish I was in your class Jamie! Praise the Lord for your position at this school and the resources you are bringing to these students...and what an AMAZING THING to be able to talk about the Lord in your CLASSROOM! Praise the Lord!