Friday, October 06, 2006

An Update

1. Sickness and Sovereignty.
Well, we've both been a little under the weather these last few days. Flu-type symptoms, sinus junk, who knows... Dustin got it first and then me. I missed school today and slept more in 2 days than I usually sleep in a week. :) Doing much better though. God has a way of teaching you a lot through illness. Our body's are so fragile. We must depend upon God. It's been encouraging to learn how to take care of each other this week and to have our plans stopped, bowing down to God's plans. Sometimes it is good to be forced to SLOW DOWN. We are feeling much better though and keep popping Day and Nyquil and Vitamin C pills. Eating soups and watching a few DVD's on the laptop help pass the time as well. I think we've seen the worst of it. I'm grateful for such a Christlike husband who humbly serves me when I'm sick.

2. Being Busy.
I wanted to direct you to a few posts that Kari pointed me to... These last few posts on this blog have greatly encouraged me. Very applicable and practical. Thanks, Kari!

3. Visitors.
Next week, our (fun to say) cousin Travis is coming through town for SBTS preview weekend. He'll be our first overnight visitor next week. Woohoo. AND... drumroll please... my sister, Joey (and Kari's sister, Bethany) is coming in town for Thanksgiving. We are THRILLED that Travis and Joey (and Bethany) are headed this way!

4. Kids.
I have 21 kids in my class. I love them so much. Dustin came up to school earlier this week to meet them. They are such a great bunch. I actually missed being with them when I was home sick today. We see it as a blessing from the Lord that with such a busy season (teaching all of the subjects, new marriage, time demands of our jobs) how fitting that there aren't discipline problems on top of all of that! These kids are like sponges. They are so ready to soak up new information. They love to learn and I can't brag about them enough. It's been a humbling privilege to work with such a group.

5. Provision.
God has graciously provided and answered prayers and allowed Dustin to be able to "step down" from his night job at the info. booth here on campus. This frees up 12 hours a week! Thankfully, he'll have some more time to focus on school and I'll get to see him a little more. We're sooo excited! Sometimes, you have to sit and look at your schedule, finances and all of your jobs and ask yourself (and God) why you are so busy. What can we cut out? The Lord answered. We're so thankful. He's at work right now, but just has one week left!

6. Fall.
The leaves are changing. Reds, yellows, oranges. The colors are amazing. I love driving home from school (especially when there's no traffic). The scenery changes every day! Getting chilly. We're eating more soups. I have never experienced a Fall quite like this.

7. Wrapping this up.
I had a few more things to say, but I think the bed is calling again. Time to pop some Nyquil, read and settle in for the evening.

8. Quotes from the book I'm reading. I long for my faith to mirror these ladies, especially in dark trials. Notice how they rest in God's attributes, how their desire is to honor his name with their responses. I have much to learn. I'm glad you can learn from living testimonies as well as the stories of those who lived before our time.

A beautiful testimony of a rooted faith in God and an understanding of his character that emboldens believers through the darkest of trials:

After Esther's (daughter of Jonathan and Sarah Edwards) husband died, she wrote her mother, "Give me leave to entreat you to request earnestly of the Lord that I may never... faint under this his severe stroke... O I am afraid I shall conduct myself so as to bring dishonour on.. the religion I profess."

Soon after, when Sarah's own Jonathan died, Sarah wrote Esther, "My very dear child, What shall I say? A holy and good God has covered us with a dark cloud. O that we may kiss the rod, and lay our hands upon our mouths! The Lord has done it. He has made me adore his goodness, that we had him so long. But my God lives; and he has my heart."

No comments: