Thursday, November 20, 2008

Gospel Encouragement Through Song

Step 1: Go here.
Step 2: Click on the top right icon with the little headphones that say Sovereign Grace Radio.
Step 3: Listen to songs like Out of the Depths and Glorious and Mighty.

Often when I grade, although not nearly enough, I listen to sermons or music.

I think one of the things I am really thankful for this year is Christ-centered music. I love songs based on God's Word. So many times at church or in the car or grading papers, I've been humbled by my sin and then overwhelmed by my Father's grace as I sing about or listen to what God has done for sinners like me, pouring out His wrath on His Son. That wrath should have been poured out on me. Praising God for mercy, the recent attribute my kids studied.

Merciful - God is kind to undeserving sinners...


**Just a side note, I'm not a HUGE fan of the Sovereign Grace music that is fast. I just can't get into it. However, I like almost ALL of their slow music. Wonder if I'm alone in that? At any rate, I'm so grateful for their ministry from books to sermons and music... God has used it in my life.

3 comments:

Eric and Lar Holquin said...

hey that's an awesome site!! thanks for sharing...i'm enjoying the music too:)

Anonymous said...

I'm the same way about SG music! I really don't like the styling/instruments or whatever they use on many of their "fast" songs. We have a couple SG albums and I pulled my preferred songs and made a playlist on Jeff's ipod.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie -

I really enjoy Sovereign Grace music. We sing it every single week at our youth group here in Illinois. The incredible depth of thought and theology that goes into these songs provides such a contrast to much of the Christian music lining the shelves of just about every Christian store I've seen. The words of the songs speak to the heart as God's words because most of the words really are God's Word! I have often found myself reflecting on the truths of grace that Sovereign Grace presents.

Love your blog! I'll check it more often.