Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Not What I Deserve

Last year, Girl Talk recommended an online story to read to your kids about Christmas. I read it to my kids at school and it led to some great discussion. The idea is that this family has a tradition of starting off Christmas morning getting coal in their stocking to remind them of what they really deserve. The presents then remind them that they are getting what they don't deserve and how Christ gives us what we don't deserve. It was very helpful for sparking Gospel conversation. Go have a look see:
Not What I Deserve
When we did a journal prompt to go with it, I was very encouraged by how the simple story really seemed to "touch" (for lack of better words) the kids. Many were really struck by the fact that they don't deserve anything except for coal and spiritually, death, which we talk about all of the time as we read through the New Testament. And then, many of them concluded praising God for His mercy and what He's given us in Christ. Now, I don't know where all of these kids are spiritually, but this book is a great seed-planter. Hope you find it as helpful as I did. It's really good for 5th graders anyway.

No comments: