Saturday, March 24, 2007

What's up with the Butts



As our Feminine Appeal study came to an end, my ladies' book study group at church started discussing what we would do next. We finally landed on The Discipline of Grace, by one of my favorite authors, Jerry Bridges. I have also read The Gospel for Real Life and Transforming Grace and both of them were must-haves. I'm excited about this one. Here's a blurb about it that one of our leaders of the study e-mailed us (not sure where she got it - the back of the book? Challies?):

"We know we need grace. Without it we'd never come to Christ in the first place. But being a Christian is more than just coming to Christ. It's about growing and becoming more like Jesus. It's about pursing holiness. The pursuit of holiness is hard work, and that's were we turn from grace to discipline. Grace is every bit as important for growing as a Christian as it is for becoming a Christian in the first place. Grace is at the heart of the gospel, and without a clear understanding of the gospel and grace we can easily slip into a performance based lifestyle that bears little resemblance to what the gospel has to offer us. The Discipline Of Grace offers a clear and thorough explanation of the gospel and what it means to the believer, and how the same grace that brings us to faith in Christ also disciplines us in Christ, and how we learn to discipline ourselves in the areas of commitment, convictions, choices, watchfulness, and adversity. The Discipline Of Grace is highly recommended reading for anyone struggling to overcome the world in Christ. "

In other news, my kids at school earned their 3rd Marble Jar party last Friday. I have come to have the following conviction about rewards and parties in education: "Make them work hard to earn their parties, don't give them away like candy... but when you have one, do it up right!"

This one was our favorite thus far: Movies, picnic on a perfect day, The "Huh" game, Human Knot, Blob Tag, a guest speaker on missions, etc. It was a blast. They also had library time to research for their paper. All in all, it was a really special day with my students. We loved it.

Dustin's doing well. He came home from OT the other day so excited about what he had learned about Isaiah. Wow. It makes me so happy to hear him just overflowing with what he learns about Scripture. We're really in the dark about what God would have him do in the future, but he has growing passions and is waiting on the Lord to guide. Pray for us as we begin already to contemplate what is beyond seminary. He's loving March Madness and writing papers in between viewing bits and pieces of games with friends (no TV here). I have a really nasty sinus infection (I'm sure you wanted to know) and he ordered me to rest. Rest, I did. I have taken about 4 naps today. Whew. They drugged me up at the doctor's this morning.

We had a great visit with my parents last weekend. My dad just turned 50 on the 13th. Our friend Laura had a birthday on Wednesday, my new friend Stacie has a birthday tomorrow, Kari next week and I think Betsy had one earlier this month. If I am forgetting anyone, forgive me. Happy birthday, all.

Just a few more weeks until Spring Break. We are looking forward to it. And I think you are updated and I should go fold laundry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good update jamie. =)

sorry i was hard to catch. birthdays make for a busy week. lots of visitors though (both side of the family). how sweet! sorry i didn't get to call you back.

i read two of bridges' books--the transforming grace and the holiness one. i really enjoyed them. let me know how this one is.

test this week! please pray!

love and miss you!!! =)

sarahdodson said...

I, too, enjoyed that update, Mrs. Butts.

That Bible study sounds wonderful! I'd love to be involved in a ladies' bible study. But, alas, I'm not. Lord willing, after my 90 day reading through the Bible, I'll be able to find one. I hope so! Enjoy! And share with us some truths the Lord shows you. trying not to be jealous....

Hope you feel better SOON. It's not especially fun to be sick, but even those can be good times.

Glad your hubby's doing so well. It'll be exciting to see what the Lord has in store for your family after seminary.

Take care!
love,
sarah