Monday, August 22, 2011

A Respectful Wife (a link) and A Helpful Perspective (on being overwhelmed)

This was a very clear article on a topic that's often easier to talk about than actually practice, thanks to my sinful flesh! This was a practical list to think through ways I should strive for growth in respecting my man more and more, and thus obeying the Lord!
A Respectful Wife

And I'm working through my new book. It's a different kind of book... no verses. SHORT chapters (I'm talking 2-4 pages). And, I should probably add that there are several in-passing references to an understanding of children that is more in line with presbyterians. Anywho, it's such an easy read. Mainly giving you (God-honoring) tools to help your THINKING and PERSPECTIVE about parenting your "little people" during the busy "little years."

Pg. 41 got me a few days ago.

Here's an excerpt. And, it would probably serve you better IN CONTEXT, so go grab your copy of the book soon! (They didn't pay me to say that.)

God gave this to me. I may not be overwhelmed about it. I can try as hard as I can, and maybe fail sometimes. I can try as hard as I can and fall asleep at the dinner table. I can try as hard as I can and be completely burned out at the end of the day. But I may not be overwhelmed. Actually, I may be overwhelmed, but I may not say I am overwhelmed! The words have a power over us. If you say it, you allow it for yourself. You give yourself that little bit of room to say, "But I can't."

3 comments:

sarahdodson said...

I think the important thing when we ARE overwhelmed, which often happens to me, is to cry out to our gracious and compassionate God.

"Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my payer. From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I." ~Psalm 61:1,2

I do understand what you're saying though about being careful about what we do say. If we continually are down and say things that pull us even further down, it will not have good results.

Thanks for your post!

Jamie Butts said...

Sarah Friend!

Excellent thoughts and verses. I have been chewing on the same thing and you articulating it was beneficial to me. I also get overwhelmed. :) The context on this quote was important, and me ripping it out of context, probably not so helpful. I think the context helped highlight that you WILL be overwhelmed, but yes, not to take your words and thoughts to an unhelpful, sinful or pity-party state.

But, I wish the author had included this biblical call to cry out to the Lord! I'm thankful for the verses you shared!! What a great place to anchor our thoughts - HIS truth!!

Miss you!

sarahdodson said...

Thanks for your words, Jamie! It would've helped, I'm sure, to have read it in context. I miss you, too :o) In this life we probably won't see too much of each other, but heaven is for eternity!! So, we will spend that together worshiping our God. What a thought!

I love your heart in wanting to live for the Lord. It is a huge blessing to see!