Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Sinclair Ferguson on Sin and Grace

Checking in from conference day...

11 conferences down. Thank you, Lord!
Well... at this point of the day, I'm scraping off the rest of my lunch and just chilling for a few minutes.
Surfing online a little bit, I came across some wonderful words from one of my favorite preachers on another favorite preacher's website.



I have to start by saying I LOVE both of these men. Their desire for the Lord is contagious. CJ Mahaney is a huge inspiration in his JOY, and Sinclair's book, The Christian Life: A Doctrinal Introduction, encouraged me greatly during about my sophomore year in college.



So... on that note, I do highly recommend to you CJ's latest interview with Sinclair over here at CJ's View From the Cheap Seats. It's good stuff.

For example:
I think the thing that I am trying to get at here is the correlation between my ability to grasp the grace, grace of grace and my grasping the sin, sin of sin (what Ralph Venning calls the “exceeding sinfulness of sin”). The sin is mine and therefore natural for me to see. It’s grace that isn’t natural to me and therefore difficult to see. Therefore I am going to struggle to bring the sin I am so familiar with to the grace I am unfamiliar with. And therefore I need to find ways given to me in Scripture of discovering the graciousness of God.

Go here for more.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Jamie,

I have looked through Ferguson's little book and it looks excellent. Is it easy to read?

Jamie Butts said...

Thanks for stopping by, Blake.
It's been awhile since I read the book, but I remember reading it slowly and re-reading certain chapters that were particularly excellent. It's one of the best theology books I've ever read. I recommended it to girls in college quite often.
It's not too hard, but maybe a little tougher than say a Bridges' book. Much much easier than all of the stuff you guys read. Enjoy! I think I'm going to have to re-read it this summer.

Unknown said...

Thanks. I was thinking about giving it away to some people who haven't read a whole lot of theology. Have fun in Cincy!