Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Scripture Memory System

Why Memorize Scripture is a sermon of John Piper that is helpful indeed. Head here to check it out. However, I think the problem I have is not only the need to be convinced, truly convinced, why this discipline is important, but also of the HOW to memorize and keep it in my head, in my heart and on my lips.

If you take out the period of my life called GA's, Private School and especially Camp Buckner Summers, you will find that Scripture Memorization has sadly been a basically neglected discipline.

Well, long story short, for the sake of your time and mine, I'll get right to it instead of blab too much about how excited I am about purposefully planning to memorize God's Word again. My dear friend Erin found a wonderful, and quite unique, hands-on review system to share with me awhile back and actually SHOW me at our recent retreat together. She made me one for my birthday. A great gift.

You can read all about the details HERE.

Here's one blurb:
By spending just five or ten minutes a day, you and your children can learn and retain hundreds of verses.
She found this in her research with homeschooling, but she's made herself a box as well as the kiddos. We are going to individually hone in on verses or passages that specifically deal with sins we wrestle with, for one thing.

I just had to share, because I hadn't seen anything like it. We both felt like, "Why didn't I think of this years ago?"

I just think it's a very useful review system. And if you don't review, like me, you sure don't remember your verses from GA's or Camp Buckner. I'm looking forward to getting started. Thanks, Erin!

P.S. If you'd rather focus on memorizing whole chapters and books of the Bible, there are different strategies that would be more helpful in some ways. This approach is for individual verses or short passages, in my opinion. Let me know if you need a link to those. I can track down the one they showed us at camp.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

Very cool! Thanks for sharing that!