Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Just enough time for #'s 5-6

Since I've kept you waiting.

5. Well, Dustin e-mailed me back. Having been a teacher, he was extremely encouraging about my new job. I wrote back. He wrote back. We kept corresponding and visiting about everything from families to beliefs to favorite brands of ice cream. He was a leader, guiding the conversations. I could feel myself being simultaneously "girly" (oh, wow, an e-mail from Dustin!) and guarded (I can't believe I'm letting myself enter into a close friendship with a BOY, there is a "risk" of getting hurt and is it smart to get close to a guy, that may very well be someone ELSE'S husband). I started praying about all of these emotions in my heart and my respect and admiration for him was growing constantly and quickly. What is up with these desires, I wondered. If he was having a bad day, I FELT it. I wanted to pray for him and encourage him. I wasn't wrapped up with the idea of love, for the sake of love, but I was just crazy about HIM.

6. Well, sure enough Dustin wrote and basically said that the more he knows me, the more he wants to know me, and he asked, very appropriately, if I would mind if he called me. After my heart started beating again, I reminded myself that this was a wise move on his part. You can only know so much about a person through e-mail, and we do live in different states, after all. I decided this was more wise than scary, because he wasn't just calling to shoot the breeze, but I knew it was with intention and that he wasn't the type that just called girls all the time. Although I knew Dustin was guarding my heart with his words and actions, I also begged the Lord would guard my heart, because I already felt myself going crazy about this guy. I didn't want to hurt him or get hurt. It seemed "risky" but God is IN CONTROL and I knew my security was IN CHRIST. I had learned that the hard way, but it was a lesson I wanted to remember now more than ever.

Well, I can finish the story in one more post and the rest is yet to come. We are about to head out to our 2nd counseling session with Pastor Steve. Tomorrow, we will head to D.C. with Dustin's family for his uncle's wedding. It's been extremely busy, so be praying for us during this season. What a blast though! We are grateful, growing, learning, preparing. And, we love you all. Thanks for your interest in our story. It's just a story and it's not one to boast in, but to bow and thank the Lord, who is so kind to sinners who deserve HELL but have been given GRACE.

9 comments:

Chad Gerlt said...

The suspense is killing me! So what happened?

Phillip M. Way said...

well....not to spoil anything, but they did ask me if I had a dark suit or a tux I could wear on July 22!

:)

~pastorway

Erin said...

...and I have this beautiful dress hanging in my closet ready for the same date. Hmmm. What could be going on? Al these strange clues...

Michael said...

I am even flying home early for that strange day. How odd.

Anonymous said...

I don't have to wear a dress on this date, do I?

Rebekah said...

Jamie, Jamie! You're loving that suspence, aren't you!!! Can't wait to hear the rest, though I know the ending already!
Love you and I will write that note soon!

Chad Gerlt said...

I, um, was just kidding, um, seeing that Dustin is,um, living in my house right now.

Kevin and Becky said...

Erin, you have another wedding dress in your closet? Now remember, the same rule stands for you & Chad as when my dress was in there!

Mrs. Nichole J. said...

Jamie Jamie where is the rest of the story??????
Love cole